Note
14 Feb 2011 | 19:15
Nag Me about
To add a NagMe alert you must sign in.
Forgot password?
Not a member yet?

Search: Horse Jockey Trainer Owner All

Weekend meetings on snow alertHeadlines
Taunton

Taunton's richest ever meeting on Saturday could be the best chance of any turf racing going ahead over the next few days.

Temperatures in Somerset are fairly tropical compared to most of the rest of the country, but even they are not completely safe, with a band of either snow or rain moving in.

Taunton groundsman Kevin Council said: "Whether we get rain or snow we'll just have to see as it depends on which forecast you read. It is due to hit us early on Friday so we should know by 10am where we stand."

Ascot's meeting, which features Sprinter Sacre's return in the Grade One Victor Chandler Chase, will need to survive a 4.30pm inspection on Friday, but snow is forecast.

Clerk of the course Chris Stickels said: "There are some signs of frost under the covers. I'm pretty confident we could race (on Thursday) but could not be certain unless I lifted the covers right off.

"Snow is forecast for Friday afternoon and evening, so it makes sense to have a precautionary look on Friday when we'll have a good look under the covers and we'll be able to assess the snow situation."

Haydock's meeting on Saturday, which is due to stage the Peter Marsh Chase and a Champion Hurdle Trial, is in grave doubt, as having already survived one inspection, clerk of the course Kirkland Tellwright will look at 8.30am on Friday.

He said: "We had minus 3C overnight and we are forecast further frosts and there is a clear chance of snow on Friday afternoon. We could get six centimetres of snow and obviously that would beat us, so there is plenty to worry about yet."

Lingfield's all-weather meeting on Friday is also subject to an 8am precautionary inspection on raceday morning due to the threat of snow.

Clerk of the course Neil MacKenzie Ross said: "It now looks like there is now potential for heavy snow over us on Friday. We've dealt with snow in the past, but it could cause a problem if it's continual."

1 September 2014

Maguire hails 'fantastic' Peddlers
Balding staying grounded with Park
Culloty joins Leger Legends
McCain salutes retiring Peddlers
Regard among September possibles
Cox takes Haydock plunge with Love
Seven Towcester meetings go to ARC
Paddy gunning for Chepstow
Athenian has sales date
No hurry for Cape call
Further checks for Condon
Mirza on Abbaye trail
Due set to miss Sprint date
Condon 'stable' after Cork fall
Queen rules supreme for Smith
River eases to debut success
Carla tops it up to four
Atzeni strikes on Cappella
Ocean team want Haydock rain
Big time beckons for Orange
Palmer aims high with Aktabantay
Hills ponders Dutch gameplan

31 August 2014

Atzeni strikes on Cappella
Imminent return Likely
Logic on comeback trail
Dan edges closer to Mile high
Keane error costly for Unrequited
Notarfbad makes all in Mildmay
Orange enjoys Big win
Fabre strikes with Fintry
Akta in late Solario swoop
Icon takes starring role
Pearl fires home in Bullet
Shortall suffers injury setback
Tent team consider chasing

30 August 2014

Keane error costly for Unrequited
Shepherd's sent to Tower
Time will tell for Charlton
Stack filly Alive to chance
Sansevero sent to Tower
Palmer plots Solario success
Fabre has high hopes for Fintry
Belardo team keen on Champagne
Rigueur targets Chester consolation
Native in hunt for Bullet gains
Arc still target for Taghrooda

29 August 2014

Catterick on track for AW start
Twiston-Davies extends Aintree role
NTF launch Newcastle petition
Bangor launches schooling raceday
Glance sights turn to Australia
Elm to swerve Solario
Irish Leger an option for Seismos
Muir outlines Point plans
Maarek team mull sprint options
Eagle in Champion frame
Raydara plan undecided
Gosden raises Kingman trip question

About | Terms | Privacy | Manage Alerts | Manage Account | © 2014