Note
14 Feb 2011 | 19:15
Nag Me about
To add a NagMe alert you must sign in.
Forgot password?
Not a member yet?

Search: Horse Jockey Trainer Owner All

Cheltenham plan further checkHeadlines
Cheltenham is still under covers

Cheltenham passed an initial 8am inspection on Friday morning but a further precautionary check at 7am on Saturday has been called.

Staff at the track have been battling the elements all week as they try to get the important Trials Day meeting to go ahead.

The track has been protected from frost for well over a week by covers, but snow that fell on top of the covers was causing some concern. That has now been cleared and clerk of the course Simon Claisse reports the track fit for racing, but will check again on raceday morning.

The track tweeted: "Passed the inspection and confident of racing. Precautionary inspection at 7am Sat just in case local weather forecast is incorrect. Some snow forecast for late afternoon followed by rain. Frost covers coming off this afternoon."

Cheltenham communications manager Andy Clifton said: "The course is fit to race and we will be taking the covers off this afternoon, but we have called a precautionary check for 7am. The situation is that we are forecast a little bit of snow around teatime today which is then due to be followed by a band of rain.

"Given the more severe weather which is forecast across the country later today, we felt it prudent to call a precautionary inspection just in case our local forecasts are wrong.

"If the forecast is right, which they have largely been this week, I think we might be able to give the meeting the go-ahead before 7am tomorrow. If the forecast is right, we would be extremely confident of racing tomorrow."

Should Cheltenham suffer any unexpected weather problems, the track also has the option of delaying the meeting until Sunday. Trainers will be required to declare their horses for Saturday and then declare them again for Sunday as prize money levels would be reduced that day.

Clifton added: "The whole point of us having that ghost card, even though we are confident of racing, was to give us the option of Sunday. If there is some unexpected problem overnight, we have the option to wait until Sunday."

2 September 2014

Towcester not "turning its back"
Demuro booked for Moon Arc prep
Chicquita nears return
Murphy excited by Purse
Surprise Matron aim for Tapestry
Maguire nearing racecourse return
Estimate among bumper Cup entry
Maguire hails 'fantastic' Peddlers
Balding staying grounded with Park
Culloty joins Leger Legends
Regard among September possibles
Cox takes Haydock plunge with Love
Paddy gunning for Chepstow
Athenian has sales date
No hurry for Cape call
Mirza on Abbaye trail

1 September 2014

McCain salutes retiring Peddlers
Seven Towcester meetings go to ARC
Further checks for Condon
Due set to miss Sprint date
Condon 'stable' after Cork fall
Queen rules supreme for Smith
River eases to debut success
Carla tops it up to four
Atzeni strikes on Cappella
Ocean team want Haydock rain
Big time beckons for Orange
Palmer aims high with Aktabantay
Hills ponders Dutch gameplan

31 August 2014

Atzeni strikes on Cappella
Imminent return Likely
Logic on comeback trail
Dan edges closer to Mile high
Keane error costly for Unrequited
Notarfbad makes all in Mildmay
Orange enjoys Big win
Fabre strikes with Fintry
Akta in late Solario swoop
Icon takes starring role
Pearl fires home in Bullet
Shortall suffers injury setback
Tent team consider chasing

30 August 2014

Keane error costly for Unrequited
Shepherd's sent to Tower
Time will tell for Charlton
Stack filly Alive to chance
Sansevero sent to Tower
Palmer plots Solario success
Fabre has high hopes for Fintry
Belardo team keen on Champagne
Rigueur targets Chester consolation
Native in hunt for Bullet gains
Arc still target for Taghrooda

About | Terms | Privacy | Manage Alerts | Manage Account | © 2014