Note
14 Feb 2011 | 19:15
Nag Me about
To add a NagMe alert you must sign in.
Forgot password?
Not a member yet?

Search: Horse Jockey Trainer Owner All

Cheltenham and Lingfield to checkHeadlines
Cheltenham is still under covers

Cheltenham passed an initial 8am inspection on Friday morning but a further precautionary check at 7am on Saturday has been called.

Staff at the track have been battling the elements all week as they try to get the important Trials Day meeting to go ahead.

Lingfield's meeting on the all-weather is also subject to a 7am inspection due to the threat of snow. As was the case earlier in the week, groundstaff will be working the track overnight to try to prevent the snow from settling on the track.

The Cheltenham course has been protected from frost for well over a week by covers, but snow that fell on top of the covers was causing some concern. That has now been cleared and clerk of the course Simon Claisse reports the track fit for racing, but will check again on raceday morning.

The track tweeted: "Passed the inspection and confident of racing. Precautionary inspection at 7am Sat just in case local weather forecast is incorrect. Some snow forecast for late afternoon followed by rain. Frost covers coming off this afternoon."

Cheltenham communications manager Andy Clifton said: "The course is fit to race and we will be taking the covers off this afternoon, but we have called a precautionary check for 7am. The situation is that we are forecast a little bit of snow around teatime today which is then due to be followed by a band of rain.

"Given the more severe weather which is forecast across the country later today, we felt it prudent to call a precautionary inspection just in case our local forecasts are wrong.

"If the forecast is right, which they have largely been this week, I think we might be able to give the meeting the go-ahead before 7am tomorrow. If the forecast is right, we would be extremely confident of racing tomorrow."

Should Cheltenham suffer any unexpected weather problems, the track also has the option of delaying the meeting until Sunday. Trainers will be required to declare their horses for Saturday and then declare them again for Sunday as prize money levels would be reduced that day.

Clifton added: "The whole point of us having that ghost card, even though we are confident of racing, was to give us the option of Sunday. If there is some unexpected problem overnight, we have the option to wait until Sunday."

2 March 2015

McCoy shines on Sivola
Weekend plan for Lincoln hope Boy
Arzal seeking change of luck
Bentelimar booked for Supreme rule
Watering possible at Cheltenham
Wincanton Thursday abandoned
Aintree beckons for Milan
Dundalk unlikely for Byron
Cops on patrol for Pertemps
Sizing team to make late call
Stars on show at Cheltenham
Codd angling for Festival glory
Duke set Carlisle agenda
Prospects bleak at Wincanton
Moon camp wary of Irish threat
Hobbs unveils Cheltenham hopes
Magic McCoy on target with Fredo
Azorian back in winning groove
Berlais lands Auteuil prize
Fred Winter favoured for Berbas
High hopes for Meade Festival team
Cooper seeks Cheltenham riches
Lemaire in hot water in Japan
Reckless camp consider Arkle bid

1 March 2015

Cecil runner second at Huntingdon
High hopes for Meade Festival team
Super set for National Duty
Longsdon retains Joe faith
Nolan hoping Noble makes cut
Camping in line for Cup bid
Bin Suroor tribute for Cavalryman
Vautour excites Mullins in workout
Elliott posse work at Leopardstown
Geraghty confirmed for Master
Wayward back on right track
Investment gains Greatwood gold
Bal win delights connections
Glinger burns off Kelso rivals
Pipe proves he's a Soll man
Geraghty shines on Leave It

28 February 2015

Festival plans fluid for Cyclone
Walter back for another victory
Irish pair do battle in France
Geraghty: Sprinter will be fitter
Wylie lines up Cheltenham team
Twiston-Davies Blak in business
Divine Bishop on Festival trail
Irish duo set Doncaster poser
Night riding high for Grimthorpe
Glingerburn facing another battle
Pipe targets Aintree with veterans
Carlito primed for Kelso return
McCoy not planning Festival goodbye
Bridge camp praying for rain
Cook suspended from riding

27 February 2015

Golantilla in Ballsbridge bid
Safety strikes in Zabeel Mile
Fehily confirms Zarkandar mount
Lieutenant bosses Purcell rivals
Dettori delights on Dubday
Many Clouds goes back to school
Maguire loses appeal
New One at ease for Faugheen clash
Foxrock still in Gold Cup picture
Apache ready to take flight in JLT

About | Terms | Privacy | Manage Alerts | Manage Account | © 2015