Note
14 Feb 2011 | 19:15
Nag Me about
To add a NagMe alert you must sign in.
Forgot password?
Not a member yet?

Search: Horse Jockey Trainer Owner All

Cheltenham confident of go-aheadHeadlines
Cheltenham is still under covers

Cheltenham officials remain "very, very confident" Festival Trials Day will not have to be held over until Sunday.

Saturday's hugely important jumps fixture could be restaged 24 hours later if the track is found unraceable at a 7am inspection on raceday morning, but with the frost covers having been lifted, allied to a favourable overnight forecast, hopes are high the meeting will defeat the elements.

"All the frost covers are up, although we've left some sheets down on the take-off and landing areas in case it gets cold. All the public areas are cleared, which is also good news," said Cheltenham communications director Andy Clifton.

"It's very cold because it's very windy but, as things stand, we remain very, very confident. If the forecast is right, which they have largely been this week, I think we might be able to give the meeting the go-ahead before 7am."

Lingfield's meeting on the all-weather is also subject to a 7am inspection due to the threat of snow. As was the case earlier in the week, groundstaff will be working the track overnight to try to prevent the snow from settling on the track.

Officials at Leopardstown are confident this weekend's top-class two-day fixture will go ahead despite calling an 8am precautionary inspection ahead of Saturday's card.

Although the Foxrock venue was hit by further rain on Friday afternoon, conditions remain raceable and racing and operations manager Nessa Joyce is hopeful day one of the meeting will beat the weather.

Joyce, speaking at 4pm, said: "It's a precautionary inspection as we are perfectly raceable at the moment and at this stage, I'm not too worried. We had a sharp blast of rain about an hour ago and we're really inspecting because there is more rain forecast and it's not clear how much we're going to get."

Lingfield's National Hunt meeting on Tuesday will now be run as a 'jumpers' bumpers' meeting instead. The turf course is currently waterlogged, with further rain forecast.

Leicester has made provisions to run its meeting on Wednesday as an all-chase card. Four extra races over fences have been provisionally programmed and a final decision will be taken by 3pm on Monday.

22 November 2014

Silvi scraps to Betfair glory
Bally sparkles on Mullins' big day
Kelly's a Fixed Brush hero
Conti strikes Betfair Chase gold
Faugheen turns on the style
Fenton banned for three years
Amlin double for fab Ferof
New One excels in Haydock romp
Flyer grounds Ascot rivals
Vasco a cut above opposition
Taken seeking Listed gold
Mogol facing Monksfield test
Vautour makes chasing bow
Gordon enjoys Dundalk spin
McCoy: Landmark swayed judgment
Jacob warms up with brace
Hill peaking for Troytown return
Billy back on winning track
Walsh back for Ferof ride
New ready for Haydock Rush
Cheltenham is Big aim
Mullins eager for Faugheen run
Cue primed for Betfair defence

21 November 2014

Geraghty snapped up for Seuil
Volnay aiming for quick repeat
Argocat camp play it cool
Leading Light retired
Frankel filly breaks Irish record
Linton loses Listed place
Doubles for Pipe and Scudamore
Nasty spill for Insole
McCoy targets midweek return
Farm comes Home to roost at Thurles
Flemenstar future dictated by scan
Cue lined up for Haydock return

20 November 2014

McNamara joy at turning pro
Volnay seeking Mersey paradise
Sloane Avenue books Dubai date
Spencer reveals Qatar riding snub
Doyle ready for Godolphin challenge
Good news at Huntingdon
BHA hear Linton case
Avenue shows winning way
Grugy diagnosed with hip issue
Meade plots Monksland comeback
Ptit secures swift double
Shanes shines in hurdles win
Mullins' stars set for weekend runs
Haydock aim for Aurore
Medermit in Betfair contention

19 November 2014

Shaneshill sparkles on hurdles bow
O'Grady keen on Becher run
High hopes for Zaidiyn
Cyclone makes Thurles return
Betfair launch National Jockey Day
Risk set for Haydock return
Murphy back at Navan for Troytown
Ground key to Aubusson Haydock bid
Knock A Hand in Troytown contention
Vautour given Navan entry
Place Hennessy bid excites King
That pleases in Newbury spin
Ascot aim for Master
Clouds primed for Hennessy bid
Challow option for Games
December aim for Berlais
Fenton facing Turf Club verdict

About | Terms | Privacy | Manage Alerts | Manage Account | © 2014